When implementing a Purchasing Card program for the first time, a common mistake by organizations is conducting a request for proposal process before understanding the internal P-Card opportunity and developing a program framework. Take the time to complete the following steps in the listed order.
12-Step Path to Implementation Success
- Gain a thorough P-Card education, including the benefits.
- Research your organization’s P-Card opportunity.
- Prepare a business case.
- Obtain management and cross-departmental buy-in.
- Develop the framework for a P-Card program.
- Conduct an RFP process to select a card issuer.
- Work with the issuer to plan for implementation.
- Begin with a pilot program; test everything.
- Evaluate pilot; revise as needed.
- Roll out the full program.
- Monitor and adjust.
- Transition to program management.
- Lack of project planning
- Lack of leadership
- No dedicated resources
- Skipping steps
- Rushing the process
- Remaining in perpetual pilot
Access a one-page PDF of this implementation information.